Training and Man Flu

Lately I have had a bad case of man flu.  My darling wife thinks I've been overplaying my hand in this regard but I'm on antibiotics so I feel warranted in the pain and anguish I have been showing.  Apparently we will have to agree to disagree that I am really sick (but I think I won that battle).

What it has had an impact on though is my training.  It is pretty hard to get motivated to train when you have a pounding headache, fever, and aching muscles and bones.  Seeing as it is flu season I thought it was a good time to discuss some things to be aware of in terms of training and illness.

Firstly the ideal situation is to not get sick in the first place.  If you can get a free flu jab use it.  While you may feel slightly under the weather for a couple of days as a result, I can tell you it is better than the alternative that may have you feeling like death warmed up for a week or more.

Winter is also a good time to check that you are getting enough Vitamin C.  It is only in extremely rare cases where I suggest supplements, but taking Vitamin C tablets if you are feeling a bit low is not the worst idea in the world.  Might be worth giving some thought to.

Now, onto the training portion of this post.  It can be a bit confusing sometimes when you are a bit unwell as to whether you should train or not.  Sometimes you feel like a bit of a flake for not hitting the gym when you are sick, I know - I felt like that this week!

You need to listen to your body though.  Really listen to it.  If you feel like you can't train at all and the thought of picking up a weight or strapping on a running shoe makes you instantly want to head back to bed, then do just that - hit the hay.  Sometimes you can't justify being unwell for another couple of days for the sake of a 1 hour workout.

There may be other days where you feel unwell but not awful.  On these days consider doing some light exercise - go for a walk (wrapped up warm) or do yoga or pilates in your lounge.  Movement can often help you to feel better especially if you have aches and pains.  Walking in the fresh air after being stuck inside for a number of days can be great both for your attitude and how you feel physically.

Lastly, when you feel like getting back into your regular gym/exercise routine make sure you do it gradually.  Being sick can take it out of you physically so do not expect to get back into things exactly where you left off.  Give yourself a week to ease back to full capacity again.

Basically it all comes back to listening to your body.  Deep down it knows what it needs better than your conscious mind so let it to it's thing and get out of it's way.  Give yourself a break, you need it.
_________________________________________________________________________

I would love to hear what you think about this article.  Feel free to comment or recommend this post to a friend via social media.  It would mean a lot to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that wasn't supposed to happen...

It's time to start talking...

Nothing works like consistency...