What I've learned from getting injured...a lot


Injuries are pretty frustrating.  I can tell you from vast experience.  I have even been referred to by friends in the past as "Mr Glass" which gives you an idea of the number of mishaps I have had in my recent past.  But as well as being frustrating, they have also been learning experiences for me.  

Here are a few things I have learnt along the road to recovery. 



You can't make a better investment than a good physiotherapist

The first thing that I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt is that you can't make a better investment (post-injury) than a good physiotherapist.  Once the damage has been done and the doctor has made their diagnosis, seek out a good physio.  

Physios can make sure that you get a proper rehabilitation plan that will get you up and about much sooner than just waiting for it to heal on its own.  Sure, there may be some pain in the sessions but a little discomfort now can prevent a lot of issues later.



Follow the plan

Another thing I have learned that related to the above is that you need to actually follow the rehab plan set out for you.  While the exercises they may give you may seem simple and boring (especially to you gym bunnies out there used to lifting big weights), they are given to you for a reason.  You need to strengthen the area around the injury where ligaments, tendons or muscle has been damaged in order to prevent re-injury and instability.  It's important later in life, so hate it but do it.


Mentality

Thirdly, there is a side of injuries that doesn't get talked about a while lot and that is the mental side of things.  I've injured my knees and ankles more times than I care to remember (through football and other sports).  After a while, these injuries can take a mental toll.  Especially if you have them in quick succession - the last time I was seriously injured I partially tore a tendon in my knee, then pulled a hamstring in the other leg - basically I was on crutches for the best part of a year.

The result?  A pretty miserable existence for the most part.  My arms got pretty strong from having to carry me around everywhere but that is a thin argument to make as to it being beneficial for me.  When you are recovering from injury - especially a serious one you need to get used to the possibility of getting frustrated, angry, sad - even to the point of being depressed about it.  If your injury is becoming an issue for your mental health then you need to get help - there are plenty of people to contact from friends to your GP, just make sure you contact someone.

So as you can see, while I may have been set back (numerous times) by injury at least I have learnt a few things along the way.  I hope that some of these thoughts have either informed you or made you think about how you deal with injuries in your own life.  
_________________________________________________________________________


I would love to hear what you think about this article.  Feel free to comment or recommend this post to a friend via social media.  It would mean a lot to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that wasn't supposed to happen...

It's time to start talking...

Nothing works like consistency...