Why I Hired A Personal Trainer

It took me a while to finally accept it but this week I went and contacted a personal trainer to help me out with some motivation and to write me a program to suit my goals.

This may seem strange to some of you out there - a personal trainer who needs a personal trainer.  I can understand, as a trainer my job is to motivate and train others, so shouldn't I be able to do the same for myself?  I thought so too, but I was wrong...somewhat.

For years I was carrying more weight than is optimal for a person my age.  This was something that as a personal trainer I hated in myself - I felt hypocritical telling others how to improve their health and fitness while struggling with my own.  There came a turning point however that changed my habits for the better.

I got diagnosed with Type II Diabetes.

You have no idea how much that (1) shocked me, and (2) gave me a kick up the butt to get some changes made in my life.  I have dropped a lot of weight since that phone call, however I have also had a string of injuries that have plagued my training for many years.

My weight loss plateaued just as I injured myself again filling in for a mates cricket team. Possible torn cartilage in my left knee - this was less than ideal.  My training dropped right off as my frustration at yet another injury took over - more pain, more time away from work, more time I wasn't able to play with my son - not acceptable in my books.

Once I got over the self pity (mostly thanks to my wife telling me to pull my socks up - in a nice way) I did some thinking: I thought about how I could move forward, how I could improve what I was doing with my training, and then it came to me.  My training was based around what I wanted to do rather than what I needed to do - just like doctors being the worst patients, often trainers skip things they insist their clients do.

So I decided to bring someone else in to tell me what I needed.  I met with my new trainer today and we seemed to get on well (a key part in successful training programs is not wanting to kill your trainer every time you see them) which was a good start.  My first session is on Thursday so the next few weeks should be interesting. 

If you would like to hear about my training and how it progresses back from injury, let me know - your opinion may just make the decision for me in terms of whether I keep writing about my journey or not.
_________________________________________________________________________

I would love to hear what you think about this article.  Feel free to comment or recommend this post to a friend via social media.  It would mean a lot to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that wasn't supposed to happen...

It's time to start talking...

Nothing works like consistency...