So I'm going on this little walk...

Over the past few months, I have started on a different training programme than I usually follow.  It has included a lot of walking. And I do mean a lot.  What is the reason behind this shift in focus?  Well, it is to help a good cause and challenge myself at the same time.

Three of my college friends and I have decided that we will be doing the Oxfam Trailwalk in March 2020.  We have decided to call ourselves the NOBS - aka the Newlands Old Boys Society.

For those of you who don't know anything about the Trailwalk, it is a 50km or 100km walk based in the Bay of Plenty with the purpose of raising funds for Oxfam to continue their valuable work.  We have decided that we will aim to complete the 100km walk.  This is a fairly big ask, especially as the 100km walk has to be completed over a maximum time of 36 hours.  

I have never been an endurance athlete of any kind.  As a teenager, I was a fairly good sprinter, and I could stretch out to keeping a pretty reasonable 800-metre pace, but I was never really a keen long-distance athlete.  All the sports I enjoyed were ones that involved the fast-twitch muscle fibres - football, badminton, cricket, touch rugby, that sort of thing.

So training for this event involves a type of endurance that I am just not used to.  It also involves a great deal of time dedicated to training - there is no other training for walking that sort of distance than time on your feet.  Yes, weight training and other forms of cardio and strength training will help in other ways, but conditioning our feet and legs to hold us upright for extended periods of time will be the big thing.

As part of this training journey, I will try and keep this blog updated as to how I am doing, but my team and I will also be regularly updating our team Facebook Page with pictures of our team training walks and some of our individual training sessions too I imagine, so you can also track our progress there.

The main purpose of getting out and doing this walk is twofold - firstly to raise funds for a great cause, but secondly to give ourselves a real challenge which is both mental and physical.  I think we are all looking forward to meeting that challenge, and speaking for myself at least, a little apprehensive at the same time.

If you would like to support our team, we need to raise funds to enter the Trailwalk - this is the main way Oxfam is supported through our efforts.  If you would like to donate to our team, you can do so here.  We would really appreciate any small amount that could help us achieve our goal of raising $2000 for Oxfam.

So stay tuned to see how we get on as we build towards March next year.  It should be ain interesting ride, with what I imagine will be a few ups and downs along the way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's time to start talking...

Well, that wasn't supposed to happen...

Is your environment looking after you?