Why I do what I do...

A client recently said to me that they thought that I would train them even if I wasn't getting paid for it and that it was a nice to work with someone like that.  At the time I thanked them for the comment but didn't think much more about it.  Later in the day I went over the conversation in my head and decided to explain why he was right, so here goes.

Our country has a problem with health.  And it isn't going away anytime soon.  This scares me a little.  I read a research review today that said there was a less than 1% chance of halting the current rise in type 2 diabetes levels and getting them down to 2010 levels.

Less than 1%.  Do you know how demoralising that is for someone whose job it is to prevent this sort of statistic?  I will tell you - pretty damn devastating.  The worst part of it is that I know I could be helping more people - I have the time and the space.

I have made an impact on many lives so far in my career.  Helping people lose weight, gain strength, raise their levels of confidence, and along the way lower their risks of obesity related illness.  These are the real reasons that I do what I do on a daily basis.

Yes I get paid for it, in fact my training business is even dangerously close to making a profit!  Thanks to my awesome wife I am able to follow my dream even if it isn't quite paying the bills as yet.  But I truly think that I would do it for free if I won lotto tomorrow.

There's a certain level of happiness I get from seeing people reach their goals, from seeing people do things they thought were not possible months (sometimes even weeks) before. I also feel a level of responsibility on my shoulders.  I know the statistics and I am in a position to do something about it.  

Can I change all of New Zealand for the better? No, at least not right now anyway.  But what I can do is change my little corner of it.  I can educate people on how to eat healthier.  I can educate people on ways to exercise for better health.  I can educate people on the damage that food can do to your body if left unchecked.  

But I need your help to do this.  I need you to be part of your own solution.  I need you to pick up the phone and ask for help.  Or get your partner, friend, or family member to ask for help.  And it doesn't need to be me on the other end.  

Just ask for help from someone who can assist.  Another trainer, a nutritionist, your GP, heck even your dentist.  I just want New Zealand to be a healthier place and for our kids to see their parents grow older in good health.

So please, help me spread this message of health and wellbeing through your family and group of friends.  For the good of the whole country, lets spread the word.
_________________________________________________________________________

I would love to hear what you think about this article.  Feel free to comment or share this post with a friend via social media.  It would mean a lot to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that wasn't supposed to happen...

It's time to start talking...

Nothing works like consistency...